Department of Mathematics is established in the year 1979. It has been harnessing precious human resources in order to cater the needs of mathematical concepts for the students to acquire Engineering skills. Department of Mathematics is committed to transform the knowledge of Mathematics being applied in Engineering challenges. The Department is witnessing to deliver quality teaching witnessing to design the education through continuous teaching learning to qualify the students to accept the global challenges and inspiring the students with strong Mathematical foundation. The Department of Mathematics was recognized as Research Centre by Kuvempu University on 08-04-2005. Two candidates were successfully awarded Ph. D in the research area: Mathematical Modeling in Biomechanics and industrial systems under the supervision of Dr. K.S Basavarajappa,Prof. and Head. Later the department of Mathematics is recognized as Research Centre by Visvesvaraya Technological university(VTU)“JnanaSangama”, Belgaum on 25-03- 2008. Five candidates have been successfully awarded Ph.D under the guidance of Dr. K.S Basavarajappa under VTU, Belgaum.Around sixty research papers have been published in reputed National and international Journals. At present four research scholars are working for Ph. D degree and thrust areas of research are Numerical Methods, Differential Equations, Fluid Mechanics, Bio fluid mechanics, Statistical methods, Mathematical Modeling, differential geometry, ContactKahler, Finsler Manifolds, Graph theory and Topology.
To aspire the Mathematical skills of teaching and learning, prepare young minds to equip with strong fundamentals and logical tools, train them to cater the needs of solving problems in Science, Engineering and Research.
- To acquire competent mind among the faculty towards conveying best in teaching, learning and research, to develop Mathematical skills, to enhance the tools in solving Engineering problems.
- Encourage analytical, independent, rational thinking and enhance problem solving techniques of the students.
- Provide knowledge based Research and collaborate with industries to address societal Requirements.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- Able to apply the knowledge of Differential equations in one, two and three dimensional cases in Engineering systems.
- Able to inculcate the Numerical Techniques, series and transforms in analyzing various Engineering problems.
- Able to utilize the concepts of Calculus of vectors, statistics and Probability tools and calculus of Complex variables in various Engineering situations.
- Able to apply the various Mathematical skills in preparation for a successful career in research, industry and biological systems.
Completed his B.Sc degree in the year 1980 from D.R.M Science College, University of Mysore, Davangere, M.Sc. Applied Mathematics in the year 1982 from Gulbarga University, Gulbarga. He obtained his Ph.D degree in the year 2002 from Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee. He joined this institute in the year 1982 and worked in various capacities, presently he is working as Professor and Head of the department. He served as the Principal of the Institute. He served as Chairman of BOE, BOS for Kuvempu University and Visvesvaraya Technological University and VTU nominee for Autonomous Engineering colleges under VTU. He is recognized as Member of Editorial Board for IEAE Journals. He is the Domain expert for VTU Research activity. He has guided 7 Ph.Ds in the areas of Biomechanics. He owns 45 research papers in his credit.
Ph.D. Guided /Ph.D. Awarded during the assessment period while working in the Institute
|S.No.||Guide||Name of the Research Scholars||Dept.||Year of Regn.||Course Work Completed Y / N||Pre- PhD Viva-Voce Y / N||Submitted Final Thesis Y / N||Year|
|1.||Dr. K S BASAVARAJAPPA||K S ONKARAPPA||MATHEMATICS||2005||Y||Y||Y||2009||MANJUNATH G||MATHEMATICS||2005||Y||Y||Y||2009||SUNANDA S NAIK||MATHEMATICS||2009||Y||Y||Y||2019||ASHWINI M RAO||MATHEMATICS||2009||Y||Y||Y||2019||SATHISHA A B||MATHEMATICS||2009||Y||Y||Y||2019||MALLIKARJUN K M||MATHEMATICS||2009||Y||Y||Y||2019|
|2.||Dr. N S BASAVARAJAPPA||ANIL KUMAR K N||MATHEMATICS||2015||Y||Y||Y||SHANMUKHA M C||MATHEMATICS||2015||Y||Y||Y||2021||MOOKAMBIKA V G||MATHEMATICS||2018||N||N||N|
|3.||Dr. ASHWINI M RAO||MANI K S||MATHEMATICS||2021||N||N||N||SATHISHA S||MATHEMATICS||2021||N||N||N|
Books/Book Chapters Published
|Sl. No||Title of the Book Chapter||Author/s||Year of Publication||Name of Publisher/s|
|1||Molecular Structure investigation through Topological indices||Basavarajappa N S, Shanmukha M C, Usha A||2021||LAP Lambert Academic Publishing|
- Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology (KSCST), IISC Campus, Bengaluru sanctioned Rs. 10,000/- for the celebration of National Science day-2021 on 26th February 2021.
- Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology (KSCST), IISC Campus, Bengaluru sanctioned Rs. 50,000/- for organizing two days Mathematics workshop for High school teachers to commemorate the celebration of National Mathematics day-2021 on 19th and 20th of March 2021.
- Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology (KSCST), IISC Campus, Bengaluru sanctioned Rs. 50,000/- for organizing two days Science workshop for High school teachers to commemorate the celebration of National Science day-2021 on 26th and 27th of March 2021.
- “A Process and System for Index-Based Data Analysis for Correlating Physical Properties of Anti-Cancer Chemical Compound on a Client Computing Device” by Dr. Basavarajappa N S, Anil Kumar K N. Patent Application No: 202041054658, Patent Filing Date: 16/12/2020, Patent Application Published Date: 25/12/2020, Patent Type : National.
|S.No.||Name of Lab||Qty||Configuration/Specification||Software|
|1.||Room No. EE - 310 : Computing facility||4||4 (2HP +2HCL) computers(core i3 and i5) , 1 HP Laser Printer 1020 plus.||Central facilities extended by institute to Department|
- 4 (2HP +2HCL) Computers(core i3 and i5) , 1 HP LCD, 1 Lecture capture Camera and 1 HP Laser Printer 1020 plus.
EE-302 Description: EE 302 is Lecture capture hall(LCH) with the following facilities: 1) LCD 2) Camera for capturing the classes handled by the faculty 3) Internet 4) Seating capacity: 75students
EE-305 Description 1) First year classes are handled as per the time table 2) Seating capacity: 75 students
EE-306 Description: 1) First year classes are handled as per the time table 2) Seating capacity: 75 students
EE-205 Description 1) First year classes are handled as per the time table 2) Seating capacity: 75 students
1 )Number of Text Books : 100 2) No. of Reference Books : 70 (30 barrowing) 3) Number of Ph.D. Thesis : 09
Department Advisory Board (DAB) Members
|1||Dr. H B Aravinda||Principal, BIET|
|2||Prof. Y Vrushabendrappa||Director, BIET|
|3||Dr. K S Basavarajappa||Prof. and Head, Dept. of Mathematics, BIET.|
|4||Dr. N S Basavarajappa||Associate Professor, Dept. of Mathematics, BIET|
|5||Dr. B. Veerappa||Principal, Bapuji BCA college, Davangere.|
|6||Dr. M S Nagaraj||Parent, Prof. and Head, Dept. of E&E, BIET.|
|7||Raghuvir V Nadiger||Alumini / Architect , Apple INC, California, USA|
|8||Gaana Belludi||Student, Bio-Technology|
Program Assessment Committee (PAC) Members
- The following are the achievements of Dr. K S Basavarajappa
1. Member of Acoustical society of America, Madras India Regional chapter
2. EDITOR for IEAE International Journals
3. Member of ISRASE explore Digital Library
4. Guided two Ph.Ds under Kuvempu University and 5 Ph.Ds under VTU, Belagavi.
- The following are the achievements of Dr. K S Basavarajappa 1. Member of Acoustical society of America, Madras India Regional chapter 2. EDITOR for IEAE International Journals 3. Member of ISRASE explore Digital Library 4. Guided two Ph.Ds under Kuvempu University and 5 Ph.Ds under VTU, Belagavi.
- 1. Satwik and Group: First year J Section (2018 Batch), State Best Project Award from KSCST, Karnataka
2. First year F Section Students: (2019-20 Batch) Student Project selected for National level technical exhibition held at IIT, Mumbai in the year 2019.
- 1. Satwik and Group: First year J Section (2018 Batch), State Best Project Award from KSCST, Karnataka 2. First year F Section Students: (2019-20 Batch) Student Project selected for National level technical exhibition held at IIT, Mumbai in the year 2019.
The following department activities were conducted:
- AICTE Activity point program for first year Engineering students